Joseph Cheetham-Wilkinson: How much money will Youtube pay me for my videos?

Tuesday 18 March 2014

How much money will Youtube pay me for my videos?

How much money can you make putting your videos on Youtube?

I thought I'd share this information with you not because I have any profound insight, but because I found this simple information quite difficult to come by when I was first trying to make money with my Youtube videos.

I have been making a modest amount of money successfully for some time now, and I have a clearer picture of how it all averages out.  In one of my previous articles 'How much money can I make with my Youtube videos' I covered the basics correctly, but didn't have enough experience under my belt to see how it all averaged out over time so I may have given some figures which were somewhat optimistic.

I'll give it to you straight, I make about £1 (about $1.60) for every thousand views I get on my channel.  And there you have it.

It is possible to make more or less, depending how much advertisers bid for your space, and crucially whether the ads are relevant or interesting, making it more likely for people to watch or click them.  You'll sometimes see sharp spikes in income when a very cool new ad appears and lots of people watch it.

But that's about the size of it.  And i have heard tell that the cost per click goes down the more popular your video gets.  So you may get 3p per click when it's just getting a few thousand views, but that could go right down when it goes vira.

So to make a reasonable single young man's living of say £20,000 from Youtube you will need to get 20 million hits a year, and that's no mean feat.  Of course, before you get anywhere near that there are other ways of monetising your content which I will cover in later posts.  So it's not as impossible as it sounds...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest! Your comment will be moderated and displayed if passed, thanks again!