Joseph Cheetham-Wilkinson: Cheap external microphone for Panasonic GH2

Tuesday 13 October 2015

Cheap external microphone for Panasonic GH2

I just thought I write this quick article to help anybody with a Panasonic GH2 who wants to improve sound quality with an external mic, who is wondering about plugging a microphone straight into the Panasonic GH2 with no external power source.

I have read numerous blogs and forums on the subject but I couldn't get an answer to this simple question, can I plug a tie mic/lavalier straight into my GH2 without any external power source?  Answer? Yes I can.

Everybody was saying there is no ghost power on the GH2, and were offering loads of 'cheap' solutions, ranging from £40 to hundreds, but my solution cost me £3.98, about $6.

Even the GH2 itself came up with a notice on the screen telling me to ensure that my mic's power was on, but lo and behold, there was a strong signal.

My tie mic cost me £2.99 on eBay with free delivery, and the adapter to take it from 3.5mm jack to 2.5mm cost me .99p with free delivery. I already had an extension, which you may need to buy as the leads aren't very long.

This makes it perfect for presenting to camera, doing gaming videos, that sort of thing.

Granted, we're not talking Hollywood sound quality, but compared to the GH2's on-board mics at a six foot distance the sound quality is VASTLY improved!

Check out the video below and hear the advantage over the on-board microphone:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest! Your comment will be moderated and displayed if passed, thanks again!