Joseph Cheetham-Wilkinson: Christians chasing money and the prosperity gospel.

Tuesday 27 November 2012

Christians chasing money and the prosperity gospel.

The prosperity gospel and chasing financial success as Christians.

Wow, talk about missing the point.  Much of what is said by the prosperity gospel preachers is true, and I'm sure they vary in their understanding and connection with the Lord as much as any preachers!  But for me, focussing on the Lord's desire for your success financially is a bit like inheriting a beautiful castle and then spending your entire life in the garden twittering on about how amazing the bird bath is.

And to be brutally frank, if the Lord wants what's best for us which he surely does, then His primary concern is going to be the state of our souls surely, and not the shininess of our car?

In my experience money in relation to Christians should be something rather different to the relationship between money and those who don't know God.

Christians should treat money as a responsibility, something to be carefully administered for the good of others.  Of course there are certain levels of comfort and happiness that God would like to bless us with, but I don't think that's His first priority!  And I certainly do not believe that comfort and padding come hand in hand with a positive relationship with God.  As I sit at my desk writing this my financial circumstances are very restrictive, but I am certainly in one of the absolute most blessed parts of my life.  The two are only very loosely connected, and only under certain circumstances I think.

For me, this video touches on the sublime and speaks absolute volumes.  If only children in our schools were shown this video regularly as they grew up.



I think His first priority, sorry folks, is to mould us into the shape of His Son, Jesus.  Giving, ultimately self sacrificing even to the point of death.

I think that God tends to bless Christians with wealth when they have reached a level of maturity whereby they understand it's true value and the responsibility they have with it.

If we devote our lives to becoming more Christ-like, then we become better connected with the Father and life starts to make more sense.  How crass it then starts to seem that we thought God's love was measured by whether He gave us a square brown car or a pointy silver one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest! Your comment will be moderated and displayed if passed, thanks again!